FULL RECIPE BELOW
Opt for something unique for dinner tomorrow night and try your hand at the traditional Cantonese dish, char siu bao. You need to try this great recipe.
Check out more from LearnToCook.com at http://learntocook.com/
CHAR SIU BAO RECIPE: http://learntocook.com/pork/how-to-make-char-siu-bao/
6 tbsp Hoisin sauce
6 tbsp Oyster sauce
6 tbsp Ketchup
6 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
4 tbsp Garlic
6 tbsp Brown sugar
6 tbsp Honey
½ tbsp Chinese 5 spice
¾ cup Beet juice
¾ cup Soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp Salt
1 ½ tbsp Black pepper
3 lbs Pork butt
1. Blend all ingredients except the pork reserve 1/4 of marinade for the sauce.
2. Cut pork into 1.5 inch thick strips.
3. Combine marinade with pork & marinate for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven 350 F & roast pork fat side up, on a rack with foil lined pan, add water to come 1/2 way up the sides of the pan.
5. Roast for 45 minutes turn pork over every 15 minutes checking level of the liquid.
FOR NEXT DAY
Heat reserved marinade & thicken with a cornstarch slurry, add small diced pork adjust seasoning, cool before filling buns.
2 lbs AP flour
1 ¾ tsp Instant yeast
1 tsp Salt
3 ¾ oz Sugar
10 oz Water
3 tbsp Vegetable oil
1. Finish pork mixture & let cool
2. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl add wet & mix until a smooth ball is formed
3. Place the dough on a lightly oiled bowl & refrigerate over night
4. NEXT DAY – Punch the dough down, scale into 2 oz portions, cut out 2.5 inch squares of parchment paper to accommodate the recipe yield.
5. Shape into ball & press into a 4 inch disk, fill with pork mixture, seal dough pouch by pinching the dough together
6. Place on a 2.5 inch square of parchment, proof until double, then add 2 T of white vinegar to the boiling water.
7. Steam for 15 minutes, turn heat off & let set for 5 minutes undisturbed. (DO NOT OPEN LID)
STAY CONNECTED WITH US:
Need an app to help you convert your recipes in the kitchen? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/escoffier-cooks-companion/id572412557?mt=8
For more information about online culinary and pastry school visit: http://www.escoffieronline.com/