FULL RECIPE BELOW
The making of the classic Escoffier recipe: Matelote. This is a great recipe that incorporates different cooking techniques.
Check out more from Learn To Cook at http://learntocook.com/
MATELOTE RECIPE: http://learntocook.com/fish/how-to-cook-matelote/
3 ½# Sea bass (stripped or any other round fish filet)
2each small onions sliced in julienne
4each Garlic cloves
1each Bouquet Garni (Parsley stems, bay leave, garlic, thyme)
4each Pepper corns
1/2cup Brandy to flambé
1btl red wine (pino noir or merlot)
3 1/2oz butter
2oz AP Flour
1# Salt Pork or Bacon
1# Button Mushrooms (fluted)
1# Glazed Pearl Onions
Garlic toast points
1. Clean fish, washed and cut into filets as necessary. Arrange them in a shallow pan with 2 sliced onions; a Bouquet garni; 4 cloves of garlic; 8 g (¼ oz) salt and 4 peppercorns.
2. Moisten with 1 litre (1¾ pt or 4½ U.S. cups) of red wine
3. Bring to the boil, add 1 dl (3½ fl. oz. or ½ U.S cup) brandy, flame, cover and finish cooking.
4. When the fish is just cooked, transfer them to a clean pan and strain the cooking liquid into another pan to finish it Meuniere style.
5. Matelote a la Meuniere is garnished with Croutons only and the cooking liquid is invariably thickened with Beurre Manie, using 100 g (3½ oz) butter and 60 g (2 oz.) flour per 1 litre (1¾ pt or 4½ U.S. cups) of cooking liquid.
6. Garnish with glazed pearl onions, sautéed fluted button mushrooms and garlic toast points.
STAY CONNECTED WITH US:
Need an app to help you convert your recipes in the kitchen? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/escoffier-cooks-companion/id572412557?mt=8
For more information about online culinary and pastry school visit: http://www.escoffieronline.com/