This easy to make Poha recipe is best for light and healthy breakfast or an evening snack. Also called Flattened rice it tastes great with ketchup, green chutney or chai. Poha is a delight for vegetarians and vegans. It mainly includes flattened rice, onion and potatoes. Some people also garnish it with besan sev (chickpea noodles) to give a crunchy taste.
Pauaa, Paunva, Poya, Chuda, Atukulu, Aval, Chiura, Chira, Chiura, Pauwa, Baji, Pohe, Phovu, Avalakki, Flattened Rice
1½ tbsp Cooking Oil
2 cups Thick Poha (aka flattened rice)
½ cup Chopped Onion
2 tsp Lemon Juice
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
½ cup Potatoes (boiled and diced )
2 tbsp Coriander Leaves (chopped)
Salt (according to taste)
1 tsp Green Chillies (chopped)
7-8 Kadi Patta (Curry Leaves)
2 tsp Sarso (Mustard Seeds)
2 tbsp Peanuts
1. First add water to poha in a bowl till it submerges completely, you can add more water if you need it. Then rinse it thoroughly for 30s. Leave it as it is for 2 mins till it softens. After two mins drain all water. Just mix it little with spoon to avoid any lumps. You can check poha softness by pressing it with your finger.
2. Now add oil to the pan, when its medium hot add peanuts and stir them till they are nice brown.
3. Once they are little brown, remove them from pan. We will use them later in the recipe, this will give crispy taste to poha.
4. Now in same pan add mustard seeds. When they start spluttering add few curry leaves and chopped onion, and mix them well.
5. Let onions cook till they turn light pink. Don’t overcook them to avoid losing onion taste.
6. Next add green chilies, turmeric, potatoes, little salt according to potatoes. Now Mix them well and keep the heat on low.
7. Now add fried peanuts, soaked poha, lemon and few coriander leaves. Then mix it well, make sure there are no visible lumps in poha.
8. Switch of the gas, cover the pan and leave it for 2 mins so that poha absorbs all ingredients.
9. Now poha is ready.
1. This dish cooks quickly, so stay at the stove to make sure nothing burns. Lower the heat if things start cooking too quickly.
2. If you want to make it healthier, you can also add more vegetables like green peas or finely chopped carrot. It will also provide different tastes.
3. If your poha is too dry, you can sprinkle little bit of water while cooking.
Follow Me @:
Youtube Subscription Link
Easy Lemon Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License