FULL RECIPE BELOW
These little potato dumplings are an essential part of the gift from the heavens that is Italian food. In this basic cooking video recipe, we teach you how to make your own gnocchi.
Check out more from LearnToCook.com at http://learntocook.com/
HOMEMADE GNOCCHI RECIPE: http://learntocook.com/pasta/how-to-make-gnocchi/
4 lb russet potato
1 tbsp salt
1 egg (beaten)
3 egg yolks (beaten)
½ tsp pepper
2 oz clarified butter
1 lb AP flour
4 oz parmesan (grated)
6 oz fontina (sliced)
4 oz butter Nutmeg to taste
1. Cut potatoes into uniform pieces. Cover with water. Add salt and simmer until tender. Drain and spread on sheet pan. Place in a 300F degree oven for 5 minutes to dry. Pass through food mill into stainless steel bowl.
2. Add beaten egg and yolks, salt, pepper, clarified butter and nutmeg and mix until incorporated. Add half the flour and mix well.
3. Spread a portion of the remaining flour on a work surface. Place the dough on the work surface and knead additional flour into the dough until firm and workable. Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Roll each piece into a cylinder about 2 feet long. With a dough knife, cut dough into 1/3 oz pieces. Round into balls. Flour the tines of a dinner fork and draw the fork firmly across each ball to form ridges. Place on floured sheet pan.
4. Boil gnocchi in salted water for 2-3 minutes. Remove a few seconds after they begin to float.
5. Saute in small batches in whole butter, browning slightly. Top with cheese and finish under the broiler.
STAY CONNECTED WITH US:
Need an app to help you convert your recipes in the kitchen? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/escoffier-cooks-companion/id572412557?mt=8
For more information about online culinary and pastry school visit: http://www.escoffieronline.com/